Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Week 3 EOC: My Demographics


As part of Generation X, I fall within the generation category of the people born to the baby boomers between 1965 and 1984, all 84+ million of us. We are often characterized as being individualist and self-reliant, which falls right in line with how I see myself. One of the areas I plan on taking my photography is into fine art automotive photography, with an emphasis on older cars. Here in Las Vegas, there is the large Rockabilly Festival, Viva Las Vegas, which has a huge car show. There are a very large percentage of people who have cars in this show that fall into Generation X.  With fond memories of cars from either their own past growing up, or their parents past, many people in this car sub-culture are driving 57 Chevys and numerous other older cars. Our generation known for accepting diversity, rejecting the rules, and having a practical approach to life.  One of the great things about the automotive show scene is the amazing diversity that you encounter, from Hispanic low-rider clubs to all African American Harley Davidson bike clubs. In all the different shows I have been able to attend; from Viva Las Vegas here in Las Vegas, to Cherries Jubilee in Monterey California, the people have been nothing short of amazing. I have had an amazing time meeting random people, most from around my generation, and being able to strike up very relatable conversations about everything from my generations music, our mutual love of cars, the area we live in, and even into my passion for photography.  One of the few things that Generation X is known for that I don’t fit into is being one of the Latch-Key children. I was fortunate enough that even though both of my parents worked, one of them was always at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment